Year 10 Open Evening
Try out different subjects that could end up to be your future career!
On the 23rd March 2017 Sussex Coast College Hastings welcomes all years to attend our Year 10 Open Evening, 5:00pm till 7:00pm, at our Station Plaza campus.
This evening will have a STEM focus; this is your chance to try out STEM subjects in a fun and informative way, different from School.
Businesses like General Dynamics and Leap Environmental will talk to you about the industry and future careers.
This evening is designed with you in mind, so we will have all our subjects that are not STEM focused here too - therefore make sure you have your questions ready!
Why think about a STEM career?
Sussex Coast College Hastings offers Maths, Science and Fantastic Engineering and Technology courses.
STEM subjects are not just for boys - but girls too. These careers allow you to work globally with lots of job opportunities.
Come along and talk to industry experts as well as local businesses to explore if a career in a STEM industry is for you!
How to win a Drone:
Are you a Year 9, 10 or 11 student?
If yes, you can enter our competition to win a drone through our mobile app or on the night.
Enter via the app: All you need to do is go to Google Play or the App Store and download our 'Sussex Coast College Connect' app and answer the five STEM questions.
Enter on the night: Turn up to our open evening on the 23rd March 2017, answer 5 STEM questions by filling out a STEM leaflet and pop it in the box.
If you win, we will contact you by the 1st April 2017.
Talk to our tutors and try out different subjects
This evening is your opportunity to try out our subjects and meet your tutors, before you decide what you want to study. The following interactive activities are subject to change:
- A-Levels - Sixth Form - Masterclass sessions
- Apprenticeships - Talk to Gill and Debbie about your options
- School of Art and Design - Workshops in ceramics, AS/A2 textiles & stained-glass as well as a tour of the Art Floor, observe workshops in ceramics and A Level Textiles
- Automotive Training - Engine demonstrations, quickest to change spark plugs competition
- Beauty - Manicure and nail art workshop
- Bricklaying - Brick bonds task
- Business - 'Name That Brand' & online activity, 'Be interviewed by an entrepreneur' experience. Overview of course, work experience, Trips & Placements
- Carpentry - Laser levels, 345 building square (Pythagoras). Festools
- Electrical Engineering - Bike generator of electricity
- Engineering - Practical examples, science tricks and workshop video
- Hair - Demos in the training salon with hair up practical tasks
- Health, Child & Social Care - Creative activity and hoist chair demo. Dirty Hands & Magnets for children
- Hospitality and Culinary Arts - Churros Stall tasters & Decorate a cup-cake
- Information and Creative Technologies - learner's games and the 3D head set
- Music Technology - Garage Band
- Painting & Decorating - Paper hanging and examples of work
- Plumbing - Push fit pipe task
- Sport - Fitness testing in the atrium
- Supported Education - Visit the sensory room and tour of the space
- Travel and Tourism - The travel department will be doing travel and cabin crew demonstrations in the fuselage on the 3rd floor. There will also be travel style quizzes and games for students to get involved with
Your school has been allocated a day in July for you and your friends to attend.
Find out what a day in the life of a Sussex Coast College Student is like - book here.