AS/A Level Media Studies
Advanced Learner Loan applicable
What will I learn?
During this two-year course you will able to further develop your analytical skills and practical skills in production.
Using your knowledge of TV, film, print and digital as a starting point, you will be able to grow your knowledge to help you produce original pieces of work, while exploring the channels of mass communication in more depth.
Whether you are analytical or creative, media studies provides opportunities for you to develop your creativity and learn new practical skills in the production of your own media texts, whilst engaging with something that truly interests you.
You will be able to analyse how the media represents different groups, while also have the opportunity to focus on specific areas of the media that interests you through research projects that combine theory and practical production.
During the first year of the course you will cover topics including:
- Explore a cross section of media texts, seeing how they communicate their meanings
- Explore the medias ever-changing role in society through gender, ethnicity, issues and places and analysing them through applying audience theories
- Have opportunities to develop your understanding of codes, conventions, messages and values of a particular format/genre through detailed research and practical work
In the second year you will:
- Look behind the texts and study three different industries through the exploration of varied texts
- Have the chance to develop your area of interest through an investigation involving research, application of theory and practical production.
Your progress will constantly be monitored through one-to-one feedback, evaluating your essay writing skills and class contribution to discussions and activities.
What could I progress on to?
After you have completed the course you may progress into further study of media at university.
There are a number of career opportunities available to you after studying this qualification, for instance you may move into marketing, become a broadcaster, film or video runner, go into producing, or become a multimedia specialist.
There are opportunities to participate in trips and visits to extend your learning, but these may incur additional costs.
Additional Course Details for 18/19
Study Year Year 1 Course code 1102 Course name A Level Media Studies Y1 Campus Study mode Start date 10/09/18 Duration 36 week (s)